At approximately 6:57 p.m. Thursday, firefighters responded to a fire at a multi-family building at 5 Washington Square. Upon arrival firefighters found fire in an enclosed area underneath a porch that’s used to store two freezers.
After smelling smoke, residents discovered the fire and turned off power to the area. They then extinguished much of the fire with a garden hose before firefighters arrived on scene. Firefighters were able to extinguish remaining flames, which had extended into the walls and ceiling of the storage area.
There was significant damage in the area where the fire originated, but residents of the were not displaced and no one was injured.
A preliminary investigation by the Gloucester Fire Department indicated that the most probable cause of the fire was electrical in nature.
“Thankfully the occupants in this building smelled smoke and discovered the fire quickly,” Chief Smith said. “Our firefighters were able to extinguish the remaining fire in the storage area. It’s important for residents to be cautious when they smell smoke, and to call us immediately.”
Firefighters had cleared the scene by 7:56 p.m. Thursday.