Eric Smith, Fire Chief
8 School St.
Gloucester, MA 01930
For Immediate Release
Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Gloucester Fire Department Extinguishes Chimney Fire
GLOUCESTER — Chief Eric Smith reports that the Gloucester Fire Department put out a chimney fire at a home Sunday morning.
At approximately 10:13 a.m., firefighters responded to 142 Hesperus Ave. Upon arrival firefighters saw a metal flue that was glowing red and smoke was coming from the chimney.
With temperatures in the single digits, firefighters used a ladder to climb onto the roof and quickly put out the fire. The home was then checked to make sure that the flames did not spread into the walls of the house.
The fire was contained to the chimney and the residents were notified to have their chimney cleaned and inspected before using their wood stove again.
“This was great work by our Group 2 firefighters in these frigid conditions,” Chief Smith said. “This incident serves as a good reminder for residents to have their chimney’s cleaned annually.”
In addition to making sure your chimneys are working properly, Chief Smith and the Gloucester Fire Department would like to offer the following tips to safely stay warm in these currently low temperatures:
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy and ensure everyone knows how to use it properly.
- Never heat your home with a gas stove or oven or charcoal barbecue grill.
- Make sure all heating devices are properly ventilated and always operate a generator outdoors and away from your home. Improper heating devices can lead to dangerous carbon monoxide buildup in the home.
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause flu-like illness or death. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately, get the victim to fresh air and open windows.