Tonight, Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018, the City of Gloucester has declared a snow emergency and parking ban on all city streets starting at 8 PM due to an upcoming severe snowstorm with blizzard-like conditions. In addition, Gloucester public schools will be closed tomorrow.
Effective at 8:00 PM tonight, Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018 until 7:00 AM Friday, January 5th all vehicles are banned from parking on city streets. Residents may park in all municipal and school parking lots, but please remove all vehicles from municipal and school parking lots before the parking ban expires at 7:00 AM Friday.
School parking lots will be the first areas to be ticketed and towed once parking ban has concluded. Violators of this emergency declaration will be at the owner’s expense so please move your car before 7 AM Friday or your vehicle will be ticketed and towed at all lots.
TRASH/RECYCLE PICKUP SCHEDULE
Trash pickup schedules will be affected by this snow emergency, with trash collection postponed for January 4th. Please DO NOT put trash and recycling out for collection tomorrow. The schedule for collection is as follows, but please check the city’s website for any changes as this information is subject to change depending on weather conditions:
- Friday, Jan 5th: Begin Wednesday Route Collection & Start Thursday Route Collection
- Saturday, Jan 6th: Finish Thursday Route Collection & Begin Friday Route Collection
- Monday, Jan 8th: Finish Any Remaining Saturday Route Collection
All trash and recycling must be out by 7 AM. The DPW and affiliated collection vendors WILL NOT go back for any late collections or snow-covered stops. Plese be prepared but call the DPW for any information or updates at 978-281-9785
REMINDERS/ SAFETY INFORMATION
- All residents and businesses are reminded that they are responsible for clearing snow from sidewalks adjacent to their property.
- Please make every effort to shovel out hydrants at or near your homes, and please check on your elderly and disabled.
- Your cooperation during this snow emergency/parking ban is necessary for efficient and safe snow removal efforts, but please use the following links from state agencies for more insights:
- Safety and preparedness tips for extreme cold: http://www.mass.gov/index.php/service-details/extreme-cold-safety-tips
- Winter storm preparedness and safety information: http://www.mass.gov/index.php/service-details/winter-storm-safety-tips
- Power outage preparedness and safety information: http://www.mass.gov/index.php/service-details/power-outage-safety-tips
- Flood safety tips: http://www.mass.gov/index.php/service-details/flood-safety-tips
- Winter safety tips for pets: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/winter-pet-safety-tips
Updates will be forthcoming as the storm progresses. Please check the City of Gloucester website and social media for further updates at www.gloucester-ma.gov. Thank you for your assistance and stay safe during this snow emergency.